Select one of the following essay topics:
1. Explain Borgmannâ€™s distinction between â€œthingsâ€ and â€œdevicesâ€ as well as what he means by â€œfocal practices.â€ Analyze Michelfelderâ€™s critique of Borgmannâ€™s view. Illustrate the tension between these views through your own example. Interpret how might care ethics help address this techno-moral problem? Raise a strong objection to your view and respond.
2. Why does Faulkner think women are underrepresented in the field of engineering and other STEM fields? Explain the ways she says technology can be gendered. Analyze a childrenâ€™s toy that you think breaks the association of masculinity with technology. Can toys such as these change the masculine culture in technology fields? If not, what else can do this?
3. Explain (a) why Jonas says modern technology increases our moral responsibilities; (b) why Jonas is against anthropocentric ethics, and (c) how Jonas revises Kantian ethics. Next, interpret how Jonas might address a drastic, far-reaching technological problem.* Be sure to explain how the solution to the problem is consistent with Jonasâ€™ moral imperatives from (c). If you disagree, then explain why and propose a better solution. If you agree, then raise a strong objection to your view and respond.
*(Your example should concern a technological problem with drastic consequences that extend deep into the future, threatening not only humans but perhaps also animals and the environment. Jonasâ€™ examples are environmental/planetary destruction, animal rights, and the possibility of prolonging human life for hundreds of years, but feel free to use your own.)
4. Explain what McGinn means by the â€œtroubling triad.â€ Illustrate this using a contemporary example. Interpret how McGinn might address this problem. If you disagree, then explain why and propose a better solution. If you agree, then raise a strong objection to your view and respond.
5. Explain why Harding says science is a cultural product. Next, explain Kuriyamaâ€™s critique of Hardingâ€™s view. Then, compare â€˜scientificâ€™ practices from two different cultures.* Interpret how we should compare these scientific practices so that we minimize cultural bias.
*(You are welcome to compare eastern medicine with western medicine, but you are also welcome to use your own examples. If you use outside sources for the example, then be sure to cite them.)
o Works cited page + in-text citations (Author ##).
Canvas only accepts the following file formats: doc, docx, pdf, txt, and rtf (Google docs and Pages files wonâ€™t work). Also, Canvas will not process file names that include special characters or dashes. If Canvas doesnâ€™t accept your file, then I canâ€™t grade it.
ACADEMIC DISHONESTY: Submitting this assignment to Canvas will check for plagiarism and originality through Turnitin.com. Please donâ€™t plagiarize or buy essays onlineâ€”itâ€™s not worth it. I report all instances of plagiarism to the Honor Council.
If youâ€™re struggling to complete the assignment, then please please please come to office hours so we talk it over. We might clarify confusing things from class, make an outline to get you started, and Iâ€™m also open to reasonable deadline extensions.