“Van Eyck and Analyzing Art in the Northern Renaissance” Please respond to the following, using sources under the Explore heading as the basis of your response:
- When looking at Van Eyckâ€™s Arnolfini double portrait, what symbolic elements or features stand out to you? Explain your answer.
- Pretend you are having a portrait done of you and a significant other; describe the symbolic elements that you would want to have included within the painting. Justify your response.
Jan Van Eyckâ€™s Arnolfini Double Portrait
- Henry Sayreâ€™s interpretation in Chapter 16, (pp. 548-551, Figs. 16.7-16.8); review Week 8 Music Folder
- Margaret Koster’s interpretation at http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+Arnolfini+double+portrait%3A+a+simple+solution.-a0109131988
Week 8 Discussion Template: Please copy, fill in with your own research and words: Template for Week Discussion Please fill in each section with your summary of your research using your own words.
Please copy and paste template: Fill in template, copy and paste to Blackboard (please no attachments are allowed in discussion area, those using tablets or phones cannot open attachments, therefore unable to read or comment on your post.) Minimum of 125 Words
My interpretation of the Arnolfini painting is in agreement with . . .
There are only a few things to say here either you:
- Agree with Sayre that the portrait represents a wedding ceremony
- Agree with Koster that the portrait represents an engagement/betrothal ceremony
- The theory that the portrait is a memorial to Arnolofiniâ€™s dead wife
Be VERY clear which interpretation you believe, just use one of the above statements
Hereâ€™s why . . .
Discuss in some detail WHY you made the interpretation you did, this should be at least 3 or 4 sentences and assess which parts of the painting suggest your interpretation
Symbolism I see in the â€˜Arnolfini Portraitâ€™
There is a lot to discuss here, please assess several symbolic elements and then discuss what the symbolism is and why and whether or not you agree with it
Symbolic elements I would put in my own â€˜me and my significant other portraitâ€™
Please come up with a few items and then EXPLAIN why they are symbolic for you
Of course once you make your main post, please reply to at least 2 other student posts, thanks