Go to one of your favorite stores and take a picture of something that catches your eyeâ€”the front entrance from the street, a display rack inside, a sign on the wall, etc. Upload the photo to the discussion thread and provide a summary of the following:
1. The products offered by the store you visited and why you like shopping there
2. What the photo shows us about the decisions the store has made regarding one or more of the 4 P’s
3. How these 4 P’s work together to keep you coming back again and again
Ask a member of the Human Resources team (or the person who does the hiring) at your work what they see as the key characteristics of a successful manager. In the discussion thread, provide a summary, answering the following questions:
1. What company do you work for and what is the role of the individual you interviewed?
2. What are the key characteristics of a successful manager that your colleague described?
3. What are your thoughts on your colleagueâ€™s response?
Step1 Organizationl Structure
Take a look at the Organization Chart provided by the company.
- Based on your knowledge of hierarchies, would you say that this team has tall structure or flat structure? Explain your answer.
Step 2: Human Resources
The company would like to improve the culture of its team and the quality of its work. Its leadership has provided you with a Process Chart detailing how it currently applies Human Resources best practices.
- What step of the Human Resources Cycle is missing? Explain why it is important to include this part of the process.
Note: You should complete Step 3 after reading the material in Week 9.
STEP 3: Leadership Style
You have been asked to help improve the leadership style of the team leader in order to meet the teamâ€™s performance goals. The team leader has given you a description of what is most comfortable in terms of leading others.
- Identify this leaderâ€™s style of leadership, and list two benefits and two drawbacks to that style as it relates to the performance of the team
Step 4: Real-World Application
Apply the thinking in Steps 1-3 as if you were a Leadership Consultant hired by the company where you work or for a previous employer.
- Review the organization chart for your company. Based on your knowledge of hierarchies, would you say that your companyâ€™s team has a tall structure or flat structure? How does this affect the way your team works? Explain your answer.
- Consider the work conducted by the Human Resources team at your company. What steps of the Human Resources Cycle do they implement well? What steps of the Human Resources Cycle might be missing from your company or are not implemented as well as they could be? What is the effect of this on you and your team? Explain your answer.
- Lastly, reflect on the leadership style of either yourself or your supervisor. What leadership style do you have, or what leadership style does your supervisor have? What are the benefits and drawbacks of this style for your team? What might you or your supervisor do to improve leadership? Explain your answer.
Think about how human resources are handled at the company you work for, or one you have worked for in the past. In the discussion thread, comment on the following questions:
1. What steps of the human resources cycle does the company handle well? Why?
2. What steps of the human resources cycle are handled poorly? Why?
3. How is culture impacted by the Human Resources department?