Before a personal trainer can develop a workout and nutrition plan, he or she will meet with the client, ask questions, and determine the clientâ€™s current strength and ability. Writing instructors use a similar process to help students diagnose their writing strengths and weaknesses and develop a training plan.
A diagnostic writerâ€™s response is intended to help you and your professor learn more about your individual writing strengths and weaknesses. The feedback you will receive from your professor will help you think more about your writing and what you need to address to strengthen your personal, academic, and professional communication.
Unit 2 Assignment Instructions
Prepare: Select a journal article about an issue in your field of study from the Library. For help with finding an article to reading and analyze, review the Assignment guidelines.
Read the article and apply what you have learned about effective reading and writing to complete this Assignment.
Please review the following guide for help with picking an article to analyze and for help with the writing process.
Write: Analyze the article you have read, addressing the following requirements in 3 well-developed paragraphs:
- In paragraph 1: Identify the author, title, and publication information for your article. Identify the articleâ€™s audience and purpose. Summarize the main points in the article in your own words.
- In paragraph 2: Discuss what the author does to develop or support these main points. For example, personal experience, statistics, interviews, facts, and emotions are just a few of many different strategies authors use to support main ideas.
- In paragraph 3: Analyze the effectiveness of the article. Identify one to two specific qualities of the article you read that you find to be effective. For example, an author may use statistics to effectively appeal to a professional audience. Or, an author may use a conversational tone to appeal to a novice audience.
Review a sample student Assignment.
Submit: Your submission should:
- Be at least 3 well-developed paragraphs
- Be approximately 1â€“2.5 pages, double spaced, in length