current environmental analysis 1 – professionalessaybuddy.com | Professional Essay Buddy
Your number one Assignment Help center | Professional Essay Buddy
GRADING RUBRIC MUST BE FOLLOWED
ANY OUTSIDE REFERENCES USED MUST BE WITHIN THE PAST 5 YEARS
In 3–5 pages, analyze the current environment of a selected health care organization.
Questions to Consider:
- How does the analytical model of strategic management compare with the emergent learning model in health care?
- What are some examples of analytical strategies in a small health care organization? How do they differ from large organizations?
- What is the analytical strategy within your own health care organization?
Choose a health care organization. This may be an organization where you currently work, where you desire to work, or one about which you would like to learn more. You may select one from any of these sectors (or select a sector not listed here that directly reflects your career plans).
- Long-term care.
- Mid-sized facility.
- Behavioral health hospital.
- Large urban hospital.
- Small rural hospital.
- Freestanding facility.
- Telehealth organization.
- Government/military integrated delivery network (IDN).
Conduct an Environmental Analysis
Analyze your health care organization’s current environment using tools included in the strategic management planning process. The purpose of this analysis is to scan the both the internal and external environments so that you can identify current challenges and opportunities in preparation for the future.
Note: You may use any contemporary environmental analysis tool to conduct your analysis (for example, PESTL analysis, Michael Porter’s 5 forces model, Levels of competition model).
In order to complete the analysis you will need to examine both the internal and external environments. Your analysis must include the following:
- Identify key structural features of the industry that determine the forces governing competition.
- Discuss the goals and strategies of the respective competitive forces.
- Examine the organization’s directional strategy, including its vision, mission, and values.
- Determine the organization’s positioning approach at this point in time.
- Summarize your insights and findings related to the current challenges and opportunities faced by your selected organization at the time of your analysis.
- Include references to peer-reviewed sources that support your analysis. Examples of these sources could be accrediting body standards, industry standards, government agency reports (for example, National Academy of Medicine, et cetera) as well as organizational information.
- Cite your sources using current APA guidelines.
- Baum, N., Brockmann, E. N., & Lacho, K. J. (2016). Strategic planning: A practical primer for the healthcare provider: Part I. The Journal of Medical Practice Management, 31(6), 371–373.
- Baum, N., Brockmann, E. N., & Lacho, K. J. (2016). Strategic planning: A practical primer for the healthcare provider: Part II. The Journal of Medical Practice Management, 32(1), 51–53.
- Balanced Scorecard | Transcript.
- Meena, K., & Thakkar, J. (2014). Development of balanced scorecard for healthcare using interpretive structural modeling and analytic network process. Journal of Advances in Management Research, 11(3), 232–256.
An older article, but the seminal work by the authors that created the balanced scorecard.
- Kaplan, R. S., & Norton, D. P. (1993). Putting the balanced scorecard to work. Harvard Business Review, 71(5), 134–147.
Environmental Culture and Analysis
This article discusses a greater understanding of the role of culture in sickness, illness, and cultural beliefs of the causes of ill health and diseases.
- Mairs-Levy, J.-J. (2017). Diversity and cultural competence in health care settings: The merits of unbiased multicultural observation in clinical and research context. Biofeedback, 45(3), 50–51.
These resources and articles may be helpful to you in understanding the process for conducting an environmental analysis.
- Hegwer, L. R. (2014). Digging deeper into data. Healthcare Financial Management, 68(2), 80–84.
- Ginter, P. M., Duncan, W. J., & Swayne, L. E. (2013). Strategic management of health care organizations (7th ed.). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Chapter 1, “The Nature of Strategic Management,” pages 1–30.
- Chapter 2, “External Analysis,” pages 33–72.
- Chapter 3, “Service Area Competitive Analysis,” pages 75–129.
- Chapter 4, “Internal Analysis and Competitive Advantage,” pages 128–162.
- Chapter 5, “Directional Strategies,” pages 163–204.
- Appendix A, “Analyzing Strategic Health Care Cases,” pages 411–421.
Suggested Resources for Further Exploration
These are articles may help prepare you for describing and analyzing the internal and external analysis.
- American Hospital Association. (2015). Environmental scan [PDF]. Retrieved from http://www.hhnmag.com/ext/resources/inc-hhn/pdfs/2…
- Post, J. (2017). What is a PEST analysis? Retrieved from http://www.businessnewsdaily.com/5512-pest-analysi…
- Jurevicius, O. (2013). Porter’s five forces. Retrieved from https://www.strategicmanagementinsight.com/tools/p…
- Barrett Values Centre. (2016). Mapping values. Retrieved from http://www.valuescentre.com/mapping-values
- Morrison, M. (2016). PEST/ PESTLE analysis introduction. Retrieved from https://rapidbi.com/Introduction-to-the-PESTLE-ana…
- SmartDraw. (2016). Strategic planning examples. Retrieved from https://www.smartdraw.com/strategic-planning/examp…